1. The 2022 Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby runs from 12:01 a.m. Saturday July 23rd, 2022 to 2pm, Sunday August 7th, 2022.
2. Entries are restricted to Salmon and Trout with a minimum eligible weight of 3 pounds for all species. Participants may only enter the number of fish permitted by the daily creel limit in any one day (no matter when caught). No fish may be weighed in with a lamprey or any other foreign objects in, or on it. Only the fish in its natural state may be weighed.
3. Participants are restricted to angling only in the following areas of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay:
Lake Huron as identified in Fisheries Management Zone 13, in the area bounded by the Nine Mile River to the South, the Pine Tree Point to the North, and West to the International Border.
Georgian Bay as identified in Fisheries Management Zone 14, in the area bounded by Cape Commodore to the South, Cabot Head to the North and East 16 kilometers.
4. All participants shall abide by the Ontario Fishing Regulations of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, the Department of Transport Small Boat Safety Regulations, and Rules and Regulations of the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby.
5. All participants unless exempted by current laws, must be in possession of a valid Ontario Fishing License.
6. Entrants fishing from vessels must ensure that all occupants onboard regardless of age have a valid Derby ticket. Participants agree to allow official representatives of the Derby to inspect their vessels to ascertain that all occupants are entered.
7. Fish will only be weighed in at the official weigh stations in Kincardine, Saugeen Shores, Wiarton & Highway 6 North. The Kincardine, Saugeen Shores, Highway 6 North and Wiarton weigh stations will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily, except August 7th, 2022 when they will open at 11:00 a.m. and close promptly at 2:00 pm.
8. Fish caught only after proper Derby Registration (Rule 11), within the qualified boundaries (Rule 3) and caught during the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby may be entered. All fish entered must have been caught by the angler entering such fish. Any attempt, in any manner, to falsify entries will result in disqualification by the Derby Committee and prizes forfeited.
9. Fish must be entered on the day caught. Exception: Any fish caught after 10:00 p.m. and within the dates outlined in rule #1, may be entered the next day.
10. Fish may be entered only once at which time a hole will be punched in the gill plate to prevent re-entry. Only fish that are whole (not gutted) may be entered. Fish with a snag, foul hook, gaff or gill mark, even if caught legitimately, will not be accepted. Previously frozen fish may not be entered.
11. Tickets purchased during the Derby are not valid for fish entries or participating in the Derby on the day of ticket sale.
Charter Captains can sell tickets the day of a Charter as long as the ticket stubs are handed or emailed to a designated drop zone prior to leaving the Marina to begin the charter.
All persons on the Charter must have a ticket to be eligible for the derby.
12. A participant may only win one leader board prize in any of the top 10 Salmon or top 5 Trout categories. In all cases, the highest value prize will be awarded. Winners and their catch are eligible for all other prizes Exception: The Derby Winning Largest Salmon & Trout are not eligible for the First Week Largest Salmon & Trout prize. (In these cases, the 2nd placed entry will win.)
13. The Largest Fish of the Day prize will be awarded to the entrant of the largest Salmon Only.
14. All daily prizes will be awarded on the following basis:
A. Only one daily prize per person per day and limited to two daily prizes per person for the duration of the derby, except for prizes associated with Special Event Days.
B. All Daily Prizes not awarded due to non-qualifying fish will be retained by the Derby Committee to use at their discretion.
15. In the event of a tie, prizes in question will be awarded based on the earliest fish entered.
16. Prizes are awarded as advertised. Prizes are not transferable and must be accepted as awarded. Merchandise prizes have no cash surrender value.
17. For the purposes of the Special Weight Prize the first fish weighed in at the stipulated weight shall be the winner. In the event no fish matches the Special Weight, the fish entered closest to the stipulated weight shall be the winner. In all cases of a tie the earliest fish weighed in shall be the winner. The fish below the closest weight shall take preference over above closest weight.
18. All participants agree that upon weighing in a leading Salmon or Trout will sign the official affidavit attesting to the fact that their fish was caught within the rules of the Derby and will upon winning a major prize submit to truth tests, if required. Refusal to take the polygraph test will result in automatic disqualification.
19. Prizes not picked up by 5pm August 27th shall become the property of the Lake Huron Fishing Club.
20. Family tickets entrants include 2 adults and up to 6 children under the age of 17. The children do not have to be related to either of the adults on the ticket. The children do not have to be related to each other either . If you can “take a kid fishing” the Chantry Derby Committee supports you. Tight Lines.
21. For the purpose of “Seniors Day”, a senior is a male or female 60 years of age or older. A senior shall only be classified as a senior as identified on the Derby ticket at time of purchase. Seniors Days are July 27th and Aug 3rd, 2022.
Prizes will be awarded to the largest Salmon and Trout caught overall during the two Seniors Days.
22. Any participant guilty of an infraction of the rules will be disqualified from the Derby for life and all prizes forfeited.
23. Participants agree that the Derby Committee may at their discretion hold any winning fish for biological examination and testing. All fish in contention for a leading prize will also be held. Major prizes will not be released until such testing is complete.
A. The Derby participant having weighed in a winning and/or leading fish that was previously held, shall take possession of their fish immediately following the close of the Derby, unless testing is undertaken. Prizes will be withheld until possession is taken and/or removed by the angler.
24. Each entrant upon registering to compete in the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby agrees to hold the sponsors, organizers, their agents, and employees harmless from any liability of any nature or kind or for any injuries and/or damages suffered during or after the period of the Derby.
25. Any photos and videos taken, published and/or presented on any Social Media Platforms during the derby and any other derby related event may be used by the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby and the Lake Huron Fishing Club. These photos or video will be used for the promotion and reporting of the derby without permission or compensation. Any Anglers or persons who have an issue or problem with their photos being published must notify us in advance or at the time the photo or video is taken. i.e.; in front of the sponsor board.
26. All participants agree that the decisions of the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby Committee are final on all matters.
27. The Derby Committee endeavors to seriously consider any complaints about the operation of, and the Rules and Regulations of the Derby. Any Derby participant/entrant or other person registering a complaint, protest of conduct, or other innuendo, of or against another participant/entrant must be accountable. He/she shall provide sufficient detail and/or evidence with a full description of the complaint for the Derby Committee to conduct an investigation. Detail must include personal information that is included on the complaint registration form. The Derby Committee shall be the sole judge in determining if any infraction of the rules or spirit of the Derby has taken place and shall take whatever action it deems appropriate. All decisions of the Derby Committee, Ministry of Natural Resources officials and/or law enforcement official are final.
NOTE: Certain grammatical, syntactical and spelling differences may inadvertently exist between the above-mentioned rules and those printed in the Derby Committee Booklet. In all cases the Derby's official publications will be deemed to take precedence.
This electronic or paper rendering is for information purposes only and is not intended as an official publication of the Chantry Chinook Salmon Derby Committee.
The boundary map on our website and in the derby brochure shows a number of boat launch sites for reference and safety only.
Some, such as those in Kincardine, Port Elgin, Southampton and Sauble Beach are free to launch during the derby. A few operated by municipalities and other agencies are user pay. Some shown are operated by private clubs and as such are not available to outside users.
The Derby Committee posts this information to the best of their knowledge and has no control over any of the sites and therefore assumes no responsibility for water access.
It is the responsibility of derby participants to ensure accessibility and launch conditions.