2020 CHANTRY CHINOOK CLASSIC SALMON DERBY
RULES AND REGULATIONS
(Subject To Change)
1. The 2020 Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby runs from 12:01 a.m. Saturday July 25th, 2020 to 12:00 noon, Sunday August 9th, 2020.
2. Entries are restricted to Salmon and Trout with a minimum eligible weight of 3 pounds for all species. Participants may only enter the number of fish permitted by the daily creel limit in any one day (no matter when caught).
3. Participants are restricted to angling only in the following areas of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay:
Lake Huron as identified in Fisheries Management Zone 13, in the area bounded by the Nine Mile River to the South, the Pine Tree Point to the North, and West to the International Border.
Georgian Bay as identified in Fisheries Management Zone 14, in the area bounded by Cape Commodore to the South, Cabot Head to the North and East 16 kilometres.
4. All participants shall abide by the Ontario Fishing Regulations of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, the Department of Transport Small Boat Safety Regulations, and Rules and Regulations of the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby.
5. All participants unless exempted by current laws, must be in possession of a valid Ontario Fishing License.
6. Entrants fishing from vessels must ensure that all occupants onboard regardless of age have a valid Derby ticket. Participants agree to allow official representatives of the Derby to inspect their vessels to ascertain that all occupants are entered.
7. Fish will only be weighed in at the official weigh stations in Kincardine, Saugeen Shores, Pike Bay and Wiarton.
The Kincardine, Saugeen Shores and Wiarton weigh stations will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily, except August 9th, 2020 when they will open at 10:00 a.m. and close promptly at 12:00 noon.
The Pike Bay weigh station will be open from 12.00 noon till 2.00 p.m. and from 7:00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m. daily, except August 9th, 2020 when they will open at 10:00 a.m. and close promptly at 12:00 noon.
Fish will not be weighed in, under any circumstances, outside the times indicated, except those entrants who are waiting in line by closing time, will be allowed to have their fish weighed after closing time.
8. Fish caught only after proper Derby Registration (Rule 11), within the qualified boundaries (Rule 3) and caught during the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby may be entered. All fish entered must have been caught by the angler entering such fish. Any attempt, in any manner, to falsify entries will result in disqualification by the Derby Committee and prizes forfeited.
9. Fish must be entered on the day caught. Exception: Any fish caught after 10:00 p.m. and within the dates outlined in rule #1, may be entered the next day.
10. Fish may be entered only once at which time a hole will be punched in the gill plate to prevent re-entry. Only fish that are whole (not gutted) may be entered. Fish with a snag, foul hook, gaff or gill mark, even if caught legitimately, will not be accepted. Previously frozen fish may not be entered.
11. Tickets purchased during the Derby are not valid for fish entries or participating in the Derby on the day of ticket sale.
Exception: Tickets validated by Authorized Charter Boat Operators for their clients. Charter boat captains agree to deposit client ticket stubs in a designated drop box prior to fishing.
11a. Participants onboard an Authorized Licensed Charter Boat may purchase a special one-day Derby Ticket which is only valid on the day of sale and while onboard the Authorized Licensed Charger Boat. (All clients of the Charter Boat Operator must have a special or standard derby ticket)
12. A participant may only win one leader board prize in any of the top 25 Salmon or top 5 Trout categories. In all cases, the highest value prize will be awarded. Winners and their catch are eligible for all other prizes Exception: The Derby Winning Largest Salmon & Trout are not eligible for the First Week Largest Salmon & Trout prize. (In these cases, the 2nd placed entry will win.)
13. The Largest Fish of the Day prize will be awarded to the entrant of the largest Salmon Only.
14. All daily prizes will be awarded on the following basis:
A. Only one daily prize per person per day and limited to two daily prizes per person for the duration of the derby, except for prizes associated with Special Event Days.
B. All Daily Prizes not awarded due to non-qualifying fish will be retained by the Derby Committee to use at their discretion.
15. In the event of a tie, prizes in question will be awarded based on the earliest fish entered.
16. Prizes are awarded as advertised. Prizes are not transferable and must be accepted as awarded. Merchandise prizes have no cash surrender value.
17. For the purposes of the Special Weight Prize the first fish weighed in at the stipulated weight shall be the winner. In the event no fish matches the Special Weight, the fish entered closest to the stipulated weight shall be the winner. In all cases of a tie the earliest fish weighed in shall be the winner. The fish below the closest weight shall take preference over above closest weight.
18. All participants agree that upon weighing in a leading Salmon or Trout will sign the official affidavit attesting to the fact that their fish was caught within the rules of the Derby and will upon winning a major prize submit to truth tests, if required. Refusal to take the polygraph test will result in automatic disqualification.
19. Prizes not picked up by the last day of August shall become the property of the Lake Huron Fishing Club.
20. During the Derby, tickets will be available at the four official weigh stations and during normal business hours until 6:00 p.m. for cash only at the following business outlets:
Kincardine - Hi-Way Variety
Underwood - Lake Huron Rod and Gun
Port Elgin - J&S Tackle
Southampton - Martin’s Home Hardware
Sauble Beach - Sauble River Marina and Lodge
Wiarton - Lures N Lines
Walkerton - Junction 4 & 19
Owen Sound - Watson’s Tackle
Guelph - Kingsway Fishing Tackle
21. Family entries are defined as parents or grandparents or guardians and dependent children 17 years of age or under. (2 Generations Only)
Each person named on the ticket may weigh in fish. (Children’s age is determined as of the date of ticket purchase) Note: Family entries are considered as one entry for the purpose of all draw prizes.
22. For the purpose of “Seniors Day”, a senior is a male or female 60 years of age or older. A senior shall only be classified as a senior as identified on the Derby ticket at time of purchase.
Prizes will be awarded to the largest Salmon and largest Trout caught overall and weighed in at each of the four weigh stations during the two Seniors Days.
23. For the purpose of “Ladies Day”, a lady is a female 18 years of age or older. A female shall only be classified as a female as identified on the Derby ticket at the time of purchase. Prizes will be awarded to the largest Salmon and largest Trout caught overall and weighed in at each of the four weigh stations during the two Ladies Days.
24. For the purpose of "Kid’s Day", a kid is a youth 17 years of age and under. A Derby ticket is not necessary and is limited to shoreline fishing at each venue location.
A valid Derby ticket is mandatory if the participant wishes to register a fish in the Derby.
(See Rule 11)
For youth entered in the Derby who will be fishing offshore on Kid's Day, a prize for the largest Salmon caught by the youth will be awarded. This winner will not be eligible for other Kid's Day prizes.
25. Any participant guilty of an infraction of the rules will be disqualified from the Derby for life and all prizes forfeited.
26. Participants agree that the Derby Committee may at their discretion hold any winning fish for biological examination and testing. All fish in contention for a leading prize will also be held. Major prizes will not be released until such testing is complete.
A. The Derby participant having weighed in a winning and/or leading fish that was previously held, shall take possession of their fish immediately following the close of the Derby, unless testing is undertaken. Prizes will be withheld until possession is taken and/or removed by the angler.
27. Each entrant upon registering to compete in the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby agrees to hold the sponsors, organizers, their agents, and employees harmless from any liability of any nature or kind or for any injuries and/or damages suffered during or after the period of the Derby
28. Any photos and videos taken, published and/or presented on any Social Media Platforms during the derby and any other derby related event may be used by the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby and the Lake Huron Fishing Club. These photos or video will be used for the promotion and reporting of the derby without permission or compensation. Any Anglers or persons who have an issue or problem with their photos being published must notify us in advance or at the time the photo or video is taken. i.e.; in front of the sponsor board.
29. All participants agree that the decisions of the Chantry Chinook Classic Salmon Derby Committee are final on all matters.
30. The Derby Committee endeavours to seriously consider any complaints about the operation of, and the Rules and Regulations of the Derby. Any Derby participant/entrant or other person registering a complaint, protest of conduct, or other innuendo, of or against another participant/entrant must be accountable. He/she shall provide sufficient detail and/or evidence with a full description of the complaint for the Derby Committee to conduct an investigation. Detail must include personal information that is included on the complaint registration form. The Derby Committee shall be the sole judge in determining if any infraction of the rules or spirit of the Derby has taken place and shall take whatever action it deems appropriate. All decisions of the Derby Committee, Ministry of Natural Resources officials and/or law enforcement official are final.
NOTE: Certain grammatical, syntactical and spelling differences may inadvertently exist between the above-mentioned rules and those printed in the Derby Committee Booklet. In all cases the Derby's official publications will be deemed to take precedence.
This electronic or paper rendering is for information purposes only and is not intended as an official publication of the Chantry Chinook Salmon Derby Committee.